British Spouse or Partner

If your partner or spouse is a British or Irish citizen, has indefinite leave to remain in the UK, is a Turkish Businessperson or Worker, or has refugee status in the UK, you can apply for entry clearance and live in the UK as a couple. In order to get this visa, you need to prove that you are in a civil partnership or marriage, or you have been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply, or you are a fiancé or proposed civil partner and will marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of arriving. You must also have good knowledge of English and be able to financially support yourself and your dependants. Initially you can be granted 2 years and 9 months on this visa, and then extend your leave for a further 2 years and 6 months. After completing 5 years under this type of visa category, you may be eligible to apply for permanent residence.

Ancestry Visa

If you are a Commonwealth citizen and you can prove that one of your grandparents was born in the UK, the Channel Island, the Isle of Man, or Ireland before 31 March 1922 and if you are over 17, then you may apply for the Ancestry Visa for working and living in the UK. Ancestry visas costs £516, and will allow you to stay in the UK for 5 years. It is important to submit both your own and your parent/grandparent’s (whose ancestry your claim is based on) full birth certificates.

Please also note that you must also show evidence that you are planning to work or establish a business in the UK. This visa type allows your partner and your children, if any, to come with you to the UK if they satisfy the relevant requirements.

Do you need legal consultation?